Are Coins and Notes a source of Covid-19 Contamination? First time in the history of humankind, every human from every corner of the world is affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. Such an atmosphere creates unprecedented panic and anxiety among the people. Due to the ongoing research about the cause and medium of a breakout, everything is under suspicion including currency notes and coins. The major objectives of Mintage World are to enhance the correct understanding of the evolving Covid-19, to share knowledge about preventive measures to avoid Covid-19 viruses. Continue reading Are Coins and Notes a source of Covid-19 Contamination?
Origin of the name of Tripura is still a matter of controversy among historians and researchers. According to the ‘Rajmala”, Tripura’s celebrated court chronicle, an ancient king named ‘Tripura’ ruled over the territorial domain known as ‘Tripura’ and the name of the kingdom was derived from his name. Many researchers explain the name ‘Tripura’ from its etymological origin: the word ‘Tripura’ is a compound of two separate words, ‘twi’ (water) + ‘pra’ (near) which in totality means ‘near water’. Continue reading Coinage of the Tripura Kingdom
Deities are worshipped in various forms from time immemorial. Beliefs and reverence for supernatural powers have driven humans to worship various forms. They may be natural elements personified, saints and divine personalities considered next to god or the God Himself. These deities are found depicted on Indus Valley Seals, on walls of ancient ruins and at places of worship. After the advent of coins, deities were depicted on coins. Continue reading Deities on Tripura Coins
Kalachuri Dynasty is shared by multiple ancient dynasties, two of which ruled in central India. The Kalachuri Dynasty was the Indian dynasty ruled in India during the medieval period. The name Kalachuri was used by the two kingdoms that had the succession of this dynasty. Continue reading Kalachuri Dynasty
Goa is the smallest Indian state which lies on the south-western coast of India within the region known as the Konkan. Geographically Goa is separated from the Deccan highlands by of the Western Ghats. The beauty of Goa attracted many powerful traders, merchants, seafarers, dynasties, and missionaries as it was one of the major trading centres of India. Although the present-day the state of Goa was established in the year 1987; but before the establishment of Goa; Goa was ruled by many dynasties like the Bhojas, Mauryas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Shilaharas, Kadambas, Yadavas, Bahamanis, the Vijayanagara and Adil Shahi dynasties. Amongst all these dynasties today we will discuss the Kadambas of Goa.
“The main task before India today is to consolidate herself into a well-knit and united power”
Born on 31st October 1875 in (Nadiad) Gujarat, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was a simple man who took on the hard job of amalgamating over 552 Princely States into one nation, India! Known as the ‘Iron Man’ of India, Sardar Patel lived a simple life and had very good diplomatic skills. Today let’s see how and why Sardar Patel got the epithet of ‘Iron Man’!
“My only desire is that India should be a good producer and no one should be hungry, shedding tears for food in the country”. Once in a generation there comes an intellectual leader and visionary, who aims for the skies while feet firmly on the ground, mind made of diamond and fists made of iron, whose passion and sharp mind sculpted today’s India. This is the Life Story of Sardar Patel narrated with the help of stamps and coins issued by the Government of India. Continue reading Life Story of Sardar Patel
The Revolt of 1857 ended the East India Company rule and the Queen assumed authority over the India. For the next 90 years the British Government ruled about 60% of India directly and the other 40% indirectly through native princes who followed British policies. During this time India went through many changes that were not just political and administrative but also witnessed changing economy and society.
Following the shifting of power from Company to British Government, a new series of coins were issued. From 1862 till Indian independence in 1947, coins were minted under the direct authority of the Crown. The British Indian coins were minted in Gold, Silver and Copper with different obverse and reverse die varieties which are helpful in their identification. The most peculiar feature of the British coinage is that they issued coins in two systems i.e. Fractional System and Decimal System.
In the earlier blog, we discussed the governors of the Bengal Sultanate appointed by the Delhi Sultans. There were nearly around 25 governors appointed by Delhi Sultanate and six of them successfully issued coins in their name. Today we will discuss the first independent Sultan of Bengal Sultanate, the subsequent dynasties who ruled the Bengal Sultanate and about the coins of Bengal Sultanate. Continue reading Coins of Bengal Sultanate-II