The princely state of Indore is located currently in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. Until the end of the 15th century, Indore’s original nucleus was a riverside village which occupied the bank of river Saraswati. Presently, this area is known as Juni Indore.
During the 200 year of rule, many types of Holkar coins were minted. Rajmata Ahilya Bai Holkar, the third ruler of Indore was instrumental in introducing new types of coins. Her coins portrayed Stylized Trishul emblem and Year 23 above it in Arabic Numerals on the obverse side and Bail Leaf and Decorated Spear on the reverse side.
Malhar Rao Holkar II introduced coins with two horizontal lines on the front and a Nandi emblem at the back. Tikoji Rao Holkar II had introduced the Half Anna coin that carried a Devanagari script featuring Nandi and Shivling motifs. The subsequent rulers also used the Nandi emblem and embossed their names on coins as well. The Indore rulers were successful in establishing a state that did well economically and culturally. Coinage was under strict quality control.
The above shown Silver Nazarana Rupee was issued in the reign of Shivaji Rao (1886-1903 AD) from Indore Mint in VS 1947. The obverse of a coin depicts Sun Face while the reverse of a coin inscribed with Persian legend ‘Sikka Mubarak Shah Alam Indore’ in Sprays.
Image Source: Classical Numismatic Gallery