The Madras High Court is one of the three High Courts in India established in the three Presidency Towns of Bombay, Calcutta and Madras. It was established on August 15, 1862, under Letters Patent issued on June 26, 1862.
The High Court is the highest Court of Civil and Criminal jurisdiction exercising Original and Appellate sides, the former being confined to the city of Madras.
The present buildings of the High Court standing on the first line beach were occupied on July 12, 1892.
The seal of the High Court bears the device and impression of the Ashoka Capital with Gopuram, a common feature of temples in the South, in its background in a circle. Below it appears the words ‘Satyameva Jayate’.
India post has issued a commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of High Court.
Image Source: Mintage World