The history of Awadh depicts that in 1720, Muhammad Amin who was popularly known as Saadat Khan the Wazir of Mughal Empire was made the Subhedar of Awadh. His dominion expanded from the divisions of Lucknow and Faizabad and the district of Ghazipur, Banaras, and Gorakhpur.
Wajid Ali Shah was the tenth and last Nawab of Awadh from 1847 to 1856AD. He issued coins in gold, silver and copper from Lucknow and Muhammadabad Banaras mint. These coins are found in various denominations viz. Rupee, Ashrafi, and Falus in various fractions.
The above shown gold Ashrafi was issued in his reign from Lakhnau mint. The obverse of the coin depicts the portion of Persian legend ‘Sikka zad bar sim wa zar az fazl tayeed Ilah, Zile haq Wajid Ali Sultan Alam Badshah’ with AH date. The reverse of the coin depicts the coat of arm: crown with parasol above it, flanked by mermaids holding a flag, crossed swords below and legend ‘Julus Mainamat Manus Zarb Dar-Us-Sultanate Lucknow mulk awadh sanah’ inscribed around the circle.
Image Source: Classical Numismatic Gallery