The history of Awadh depicts that in 1720, Muhammad Amin who was popularly known as Saadat Khan the Wazir of Mughal Empire was made the Subhedar of Awadh. His dominion expanded from the divisions of Lucknow and Faizabad and the district of Ghazipur, Banaras, and Gorakhpur.
Muhammad Ali Shah was the third Nawab of Awadh from 1837 to 1842. He built the shrine of Hurr at Karbala.
This gold Ashrafi was issued by Muhammad Ali Shah. The obverse of a coin is inscribed with ‘Ba Jud-o-Karam Sikka Zad Dar Jahan Muhammad Ali Badshah Zaman’ with Hijri Year 1253. The reverse of a coin is inscribed with the ‘Coat of Arms’ encircled by legend ‘Zarb Subah Awadh Dar us-Sultanat Lakhnau Julus Mainamat Manus’ with Regnal year Ahad (1).
Image Source: Todywalla Auctions