On 11th January, Ireland issued a €1 stamp to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the general post office in Dublin which is currently the headquarters of An Post. It was opened as a GPO on 6th January 1818. Dublin’s GPO was involved during the rising of 1916 and was a part of events that led to Ireland's independence. The facade of this historical building and the Irish flag hoisted in front of it, evokes patriotism.
Lord Whitworth laid the foundation stone on the 12th August 1814. Experts state that £60 was spent on entertainment for the inaugural function. Famed Irish architect Francis Johnston designed this important structure. The new stamp features an 1820 engraving of the building by Robert Havell and Son.