The Imperial capital of India was transferred to Delhi from Calcutta in December 1911 when King George V announced it during Durbar at Delhi.
The foundation stone of the city was laid by George V, Emperor of India during the Delhi Durbar of 1911. The city was designed by British architects, Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker. The new capital was inaugurated on 13 February 1931, by Lord Irwin.
A set of six stamps was issued on 9th February, 1931 to mark the inauguration of New Delhi as the new capital of India. The stamps, featuring famous landscapes of the city, were designed by W. Barr and printed by offset-lithography at the Security Printing Press, Nasik.
The six stamps are:
• King George V image overlaying the secretariat
• Council House
• Viceroy House
• War Memorial Arch
• Purana Qila
Today the Council House is known as the Parliament House, The War Memorial Arch is known as India Gate and the Viceroy House is known as Rashtrapati Bhavan.
These were the first commemorative issue from British India.