Integrated-Carving-on-Square-Coins-of-Partabgarh

Integrated Carving on Square Coins of Partabgarh

11 Oct 2021  Mon

An adjoined image is of a square-shaped, silver Nazarana Rupee issued in the name of Shah Alam by DUlep Singh at Devagadh mint in 1236 Anno Hijri. The obverse of the coin depicts, “King’s Name and title with AH date”. The reverse of the coin depicts, “RY date, Mint name, and Julus formula”.

Partabgarh or Pratabgarh princely state was situated in the south of Rajputana with an area of 886 square miles. In 1425, the state was established as Kanthal state and later was renamed after its capital city Pratapgarh. Geographically, it was bounded on the north and the north-west by Udaipur, on the west and south-west by Banswara, on the south by Ratlam; and on the east by Jaora, Sindhia's districts of Mandasor and Nimach, and a portion of the Rampura-Bhanpura district of Indore.

The major portion of the state consisted of fine open land. But the northwest side was occupied with rocky and hilly ranges. Prartabgarh was entitled to 15 gun salutes by the British authority.

Image Courtesy: Mintage World

Knowledge Base
Online: 9.30 am to 6.30 pm