In 1911, British Antarctic Expedition of 1910-1913 led by Robert Falcon Scott erected hut. The first hut was constructed at Hut point which is 20 kilometres away from south of Cape Evans.
The huts have been included on the World Monuments Watch. The huts are rectangular. They are 50 feet long and 25 feet wide. Insulation from cold is created by seaweed sewn placed between double-planked inner and outer walls. The roof was a sandwich of three layers of a plank and two layers of rubber ply enclosing more quilted seaweed. Acetylene gas is used to light a lamp.
A stables building of 50 by 16 feet was attached to the north wall of the main building. A utility room of 40 by 12 feet was also added later, built around the original small porch at the southwest end of the main building.
Emperor penguins are the only animals to breed during winter on Antarctica.
Visit philamart to view and purchase variety of stamps from all over the world.
Image Courtesy: Stampsoftheworld.co.uk