The meaning of Garhwal is ‘country of forts’. It was a Princely State ruled by a Gharwali Rajput dynasty in the northwestern Uttarakhand of India. During British Raj, it came under the authority of ‘Punjab Hill States Agency’. Garhwal is situated currently in the Tehri Garhwal and Uttarkashi district. It was merged with the Union of India in August 1949.
Pradip Shah ruled the Princely State of Garhwal from 1717 to 1772 AD. During the reign he issued silver and copper coins in the denomination of Taca and Timasha from Srinagar mint.
Depicted here is silver Timasha of Pradip Shah issued in the name of Shah Alam II. The legend ‘Sikka Mubarak Badshah Gazi Shah Alam’ depicted on the obverse of a coin. While reverse bore the inscription ‘Zarb Srinagar Sanah 3 Julus Mainamat Manus’.
Image Source: Classical Numismatic Gallery