Ellichpur District which encompasses the western portion of present-day Amravati District in Maharashtra was a former district of British India. In 1853 by a treaty signed by the Nizam of Hyderabad, Ellichpur district came under the administrative control of the British Raj, under the province of Berar. However, it continued to be a nominal feudatory of the Kingdom of Hyderabad until 1903.
The coins (copper only) of Ellichpur are characterised by a tiger on its obverse. This small district of Ellichpur has another interesting historical connection. Some coins of Mughal Emperors like Akbar, Aurangzeb, Alamgir II, Muhammad Shah, Shah Alam Bahadur, etc were struck at Ellichpur mint!
The coin depicted beside is a Copper 2 Paisa of 15.40g dated AH (12) 50. The coin has on its obverse a Tiger facing left while its reverse has the mint name “Zarb Elichpur”.
Image Classical Numismatic Gallery