Banco Nacional Ultramarino or ‘National Overseas Bank’ was established in Lisbon, Portugal in 1864 for the Portuguese colonies overseas. The first notes of Portuguese India resulted from the Anglo-Portuguese convention of 1880 by a Provincial Order No.566 of 27 September 1882. These notes “were made in London and started circulating in 1st of October 1883.
The first issue circulated notes, which were Uniface, had a watermark and were dated 1882, were of ‘Junta da Fazenda Publica’ Department of Public Finance Nova Goa. Following years saw the second and the third issues of the Portuguese Indian Rupee notes in January 1897 and October 1899 respectively.
From the second half of the 19th Century, the Royal Coat of Arms became a common feature that was represented on major banknotes. The Royal Arms of Portugal with the shield covered by a mantle purple lined ermine issuing from the Royal crown began to be seen on the banknotes from 1906.
The Coat of Arms of Portugal is popularly referred as the Cinco Quinas (Five Quinas) or simply the Quinas (a quina being each of the five escutcheons of the Portuguese shield). This Royal Insignia generally featured in the bottom centre of the Portuguese Indian Banknote.
Image Courtesy: Indianbanknote.blogspot.com