The 62m-tall Minaret of Jam is a graceful, soaring structure, dating back to the 12th century. Covered in elaborate brickwork with a blue tile inscription at the top, it is noteworthy for the quality of its architecture and decoration, which represent the culmination of an architectural and artistic tradition in this region. Its impact is heightened by its dramatic setting, a deep river valley between towering mountains in the heart of the Ghur province.
The Minaret of Jam is located in Shahrak District of the Ghur Province in Afghanistan. It is situated at the intersection of the Jam River and Hari River. Standing in a very isolated valley, the Minaret is surrounded by barren mountains.
The Minaret was built around 1194 AD entirely of baked bricks and is famous for its intricate brick, stucco, and glazed tile decoration, which consists of alternating bands of kufic and naskhi calligraphy, geometric patterns, and verses from the Qur'an.
The Arabic inscription dating the minaret is unclear – it could read 1193/4 or 1174/5. It could thus commemorate the victory of the Ghurid sultan Ghiyas ud-Din over the Ghaznevids in 1186 in Lahore.
Since 2002, the minaret has remained on the list of World Heritage in Danger, under serious threat of erosion, and has not been actively preserved. In 2014, the BBC reported that the tower was in imminent danger of collapse.
In 1989, Afghanistan Post issued a stamp featuring the beautiful Jam Minaret.
Image Courtesy: Google Images