The Arc of Augustus also known as the Parthian triumphal arch was erected by Augustus in 19 BCE to celebrate the return of Roman military standards capture by the Parthians at the battle of Carrhae in 53 BCE.
This arch stood in the Roman Forum on the road between the Temple of Castor, Temple of Pollux and Temple of Caesar near the Temple of Vesta. This Arch replaced the Arch of Octavian built in 29 BC. Today very little of that arch remains but its connection to Emperor Augustus was proved by the inscription found in 1546 AD. Its appearance is known through the coins.
Above-shown silver denarius of Augustus illustrates the arch of Augustus, this very coin is the best source to reconstitute the arch. It was a triple arch with a quadriga standing on the central arch. The construction of triple was an unusual design in Rome. The obverse of this arch consists of the portrait of Emperor August.
This arch served as a model for the Arch of Septimius Severus and Arch of Constantine.
To know more about other Roman monuments click here.