The royal lineage of Alwar was ruled by Narula Lalawat clan of Rajput dynasty. Located in north-eastern part of Rajasthan today, it was established in 1722 by Rao Pratap Singh of Macheri. Rao Pratap Singh was descendent from the royal house of Jaipur in the 14th century. Alwar was the first princely State to use coin minted in the Calcutta mint during British Raj.
This silver Nazarana Rupee is attributed to the reign of Sheodan Singh. The coin was minted in the name of Queen Victoria from Rajgarh mint.
The obverse of this coin is inscribed with Persian legend ‘ Sikka Mubarak Mallika-e-Muazima Takht Nasheen Dar-ul-Sultanate Englistan Sanah Iswi’. The reverse of this coin depicts the legend ‘Maharao Raja Sawai Sheodan Singh Bahadur Sikka Julus Zarb Rajgarh’.
This coin was sold for INR 26,000 by Classical Numismatic Gallery.
Image Source: Classical Numismatic Gallery