The first Italian States stamps for the Duchy of Parma and Piacenza were issued in 1852.
The Duchy of Parma and Piacenza, was originally part of the Duchy of Milan. The Papal States conquered the territory around Parma in 1512, after which the Pope gave the territory to Pier Luigi Farnese. Later, the territory around Piacenza was also given to the Farnese family, creating the Duchy of Parma and Piacenza.
Most of the authentic stamps of Parma have defective impressions. These include frame defects and misplaced or missing elements in the inscriptions. However, the stamps of Parma offer a great number of specialization possibilities.
First Stamps of the Italian State of Parma were issued o 1st June 1852. This set of five stamps was imperforate and common design was the Crown of Parma, over a circle containing the Fleur-de-Lis in the center with an oval vignette topped with a crown.
The stamps were issued with the denominations of 5 cents, 10 cents, 15 cents, 25 cents, 40 cents and are inscribed “STATI PARM (State Parms) at the top and the denomination at the bottom. They have a decorated double rectangular border around.
After the Napoleonic Wars, the duchy was ruled by the House of Bourbon, and it remained under Bourbon rule until the abolition of the duchy in 1859. The Italian States stamps of Parma were replaced by those of the Kingdom of Sardinia during February 1860.
Image Courtesy: https://www.stamp-collecting-world.com
Visit philamart to view and purchase variety of stamps from all over the world