On this day, August 14, in the year 1862, Bombay High Court was inaugurated under the High Court’s Act of 1861. The Bombay High Court was one of the three High Courts in India established at the Presidency Towns by Letters patent granted by Queen Victoria,
The High Court of Bombay, which is the chartered High Court, is one of the oldest High Courts in the Country. It has Appellate Jurisdiction over the State of Maharashtra, Goa, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli. In addition to the Principal Seat at Bombay, it has benches at Aurangabad, Nagpur, Panaji(Goa).
Here are some interesting facts:
- The work of present building was commenced in April 1871
- British engineer Colonel James A. Fuller was the man behind its design
- The building of Bombay High Court is an example of Gothic revival architecture of British.
- The first sitting in this building was on 10 January 1879.
- Justice M. C. Chagla was the first Indian permanent Chief Justice of Bombay High Court after independence.
- The first Chief Justice, the Attorney General and Solicitor General of Independent India were from this court.
- Some of the famous cases of the Bombay High Court include Emperor v. Bal Gangadhar Tilak case of 1916, in which Indian freedom fighter Tilak was charged with sedition charges.
- The building of the High Court was added to the list of World Heritage Sites in 2018.
On the centenary of the Bombay High Court i.e. in the year 1962, India Post issued a commemorative stamp of 15 Naye Paise. This stamp features a sketch of court building from contemporary time.
Image Courtesy: http://postagestamps.gov.in
Visit philamart to view and purchase variety of stamps from all over the world.
Tajikistan is a landlocked country in Central Asia. Dushanbe is the largest city and capital as well...
Bhupal Singh issued a copper Half Anna in 1999 Vikram Samvat. The obverse of the coin features, “C...
Pablo Ruiz Picasso, one of the famous and influential artists of the 20th century, was born today in...
The Battle of Agincourt was fought between England and France on 25th October 1415 CE. This battle i...
The Reserve Bank of New Zealand’s Series 7 bank notes were introduced in October 2015 with the rel...
Thank you for visiting our website and for your interest in our endeavour.
For a past few days we have been recieving queries whether we buy/sell coins, stamps and currency.
We would like to inform you that, as of date, we have not provided such a platform. However please register on our website and do keep visiting our portal for further notifications on such a forum and other important and exciting news/updates.
Happy Collecting !