Pratabgarh Princely State was situated in the south of Rajputana. In 1425, the state was established as Kanthal state and later was renamed after its capital city Pratapgarh. The rulers of Partabgarh are considered to be a Sisodia Rajputs who migrated here from Mewar in the year 1553 CE. Founder of Partabgarh was Pratab Singh.
Sawant Singh ruled the Pratabgarh Princely State from 1775 to 1825 AD. During his reign, the state was captured by the Marathas, and it was saved only when they agreed to pay a tribute of 72,720 Salim Shahi to Holkar. The tribute to Holkar was paid through the British Government, and from 1904 was converted to Rs. 36,360 British currency.
During the reign, he issued silver coins in the denomination of Nazarana Rupee, Rupee and in their different fractions. These coins were issued in a square and round shapes from Devgadh mint.
Represent here is a silver rupee issued during his reign. This coin was issued in the name of Shah Alam II and depicted the legend ‘Sikka Mubarak Badshah Gazi 1190’ on its obverse. The reverse is inscribed with ‘Sanah 17 Zarb Devgadh Julus Mainamat Manus’.
Image Source: Classical Numismatic Gallery