The princely state of Jaisalmer was situated in the south-western Rajputana province during the British Raj. It emerged in the sixteenth century and was nicknamed the ‘Golden City’ thanks to its yellow sandstone structure and gold-colored desert surrounding it. This state was once the royal seat of the Bhatti Rajputs (the Yaduvanshi) which had some quite notable warriors.
The state came under British Protection in 1818, and on 30th March 1949, it merged into the newly formed state of Rajasthan.
Ranjit Singh ascended the throne in 1846 and ruled till 1864 AD. He issued coins in gold and silver with the mint name ‘Dar-ul-Riyasat Jaisalmir’ in various shapes viz. Hexagonal, Octagonal, Round or irregular, and square. These coins were issued in the name of Queen Victoria, legend on the obverse read as ‘Victoria Farman Rawai Inglistan’ and reverse of the coin represents symbols such as Bird, Umbrella, Trishul.
Image Source: Classical Numismatic Gallery