The state of Bikaner traces its origins to the 15th century when the city of Bikaner was established by Rao Bikaji, the younger son of the Raja of Jodhpur. During the Mughal period, Bikaner was closely allied through treaty and marriage with the Mughal court and coins were issued in the name of the Mughal emperor.
Bikaner came under British control in 1818, but it was only in 1859 that the coinage started acknowledging British paramountcy. In 1876, the British offered to mint coins for the Princely States at no charge if they agreed to follow British designs, and Bikaner agreed. Coins were issued under this program only in 1894 and 1895, and Queen Victoria's portrait was featured on the coinage.
The above-mentioned gold proof Nazarana Rupee which weighs around 16.92g minted in the reign of Ganga Singh. The obverse of the coin depicts the portrait of the ruler, with the legend ‘Maharajadhiraja Shri Ganga Singh Ji Bahadur’ in Devanagari around the coin. The reverse has the monogram of the ruler in the centre within wreath, date VS 1994 (1937 AD) below with auspicious symbols signifying royal authority such as Trishul, parasol, flag, temple top and an eagle at top, with legend Raj Shri Bikanir / Ganga Shahi Ek Rupiya.
Image Courtesy: Todywalla Auctions