The-Mosque-of-Qani-Bay-printed-on-Banknote

The Mosque of Qani Bay printed on Banknote

09 Jan 2021  Sat

The Mosque of Qani Bay is a mosque situated in Cairo, Egypt. The complex is named after Qani Bay al-Sayfi also known as “Al-Rammah” (The Lancer), who was grand master of the horse during the reign of Sultan Ghuri. It was built in 1503-1504/908 AH on a large site on a hill overlooking the hippodrome and the Madrasa-Mosque of Sultan Hasan. The site was chosen since the horse market and stables of the Citadel were originally located just off the square.

The complex has a main facade that takes maximum advantage of the view and at the same time exposes itself to the crowds below. The complex projects along front facade that includes the sabil-kuttab, minaret, trilobed groin-vaulted portal, windows inside large rectangular panels, and a stone dome. The dome is embellished by a handsomely carved arabesque pattern with triangular corner supports.

The interior follows the qa'a plan; the qibla iwan is roofed by a shallow vault on pendentives. The opposite iwan is covered by a cross-vault. The minaret is entirely rectangular. Both minarets of Qanibay are surmounted by a double-headed structure, a departure from the standard bulb carried on eight columns.

The mosque featured on the 200 Egyptian pound banknote because of its architectural and historical value.

Image Source: Wikipedia.org

Knowledge Base