Native-Dagger-of-Alwar-Princely-State

Native Dagger of Alwar Princely State

18 Jul 2020  Sat

A native dagger is nothing but a decorated knife. The earliest daggers of the Neolithic era were made of flint, ivory, or bone. In the Bronze Age, it was made of copper or bronze. The royalty of Alwar made daggers of gold and silver, even more, ornate and varied construction too. It is popularly known as ‘art knife’ due in part to the symmetry of the blade.

The dagger symbolically meant great immortal warrior to Rajputs. Alwar has a very long history. Alwar was a part of the Matsya Kingdom, one of the sixteen ancient Mahajanapadas. King of Amer Maharaja Alaghrajruled the area in the 11th century. He established the Alpur city, which eventually became Alwar.

Herewith, the native dagger stamp was issued by Alwar princely state in 1877.

In today’s time, Alwar is located 150 km south of Delhi and 150 km north of Jaipur. Alwar is an epicenter of tourism with several forts, lakes, heritage Havelis and nature reserves, including the Bhangarh Fort, the Sariska Tiger Reserve and Siliserh Lake.

Image Courtesy: Stampsoftheworld.co.uk

Knowledge Base