The British Caribbean Territories banknotes also known as British West Indies dollar was the currency of Leeward Islands, British Guiana, Barbados, Windward Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago.
The British West Indies (BWI, often pronounced ‘bee-wee’) dollar, divisible into 100 cents, was introduced in 1949. The British pound sterling at that time was equal to 4.80 BWI dollars, and banknotes were issued by the local government and commercial banks. In 1951, the Board of Commissioners of Currency, British Caribbean Territories (Eastern Group), become the sole note-issuing authority for these dependencies, issuing both coins and notes.
The notes were introduced in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 100 dollars. They were printed by Bradbury Wilkinson, New Malden and made in the name of the ‘British Caribbean Territories, Eastern Group’. They bore the portrait of King George VI and later Queen Elizabeth II.
Both British Guiana and Trinidad and Tobago withdrew from the British Caribbean Currency Board in 1962. Three years later in 1965, the BWI dollar was replaced by the East Caribbean dollar.