Jhalawar Princely state was situated in Kathiawar Agency. Its name originated from the Jhala Rajputs. The Jhalawar family owes its origin to Zalim Singh who was a descendant of the Jhala rulers of Wadhwan, from Gujarat.
Madan Singh, the first Maharaj Rana of Jhalawar, was installed on the 11th of July, 1837. A mint was established at Jhalra Patan, the state capital, in 1801 by Zalim Singh. There was another mint operating in Qila Shanhabad.
The coin depicted above belongs to the old “Madan” Shahi series and carries the inscription “Bahadur Shah II.” The legend on a coin read as ‘Sikka Mubarak Badshah Gazi Muhammad Shah Bahadur’ on the obverse face of the coin while the reverse is inscribed with ‘Zarb Jhalawar Sanah 8 Julus Mainamat manus’.
Image Source: Classical Numismatic Gallery