Nawanagar Princely state was situated in Kathiawar on the south of the Gulf of Kutch. The region is now known as Jamnagar city. It covered an area of 3,791 square miles and as per 1901 census and had a population of 336,779. The rulers used the title of “Jam Sahib” and had close nexus with Rao of Kutch. This state was entitled to 15-gun salutes by the British.
Nawanagar flag was rectangular in shape with three white and red strips each of same size. It was a part of the Kathiawad Agency, under the Gujarat Division of Bombay presidency. The wealth of the state came from trade and most essentially from pearl fishery.
Nawanagar was ruled by Jadeja dynasty from 1540 AD to 1948 AD. Jam Shri Rawalji established Nawanagar near the banks of Nagmati and Rangmati. He was a descendent of Jam Halla who claimed to be heir of Lord Krishna.
Jam Satji established a new capital town at Khambaliya. His successors had fierce fights with Mughals on various occasions but were crushed ultimately. During Jam Lakhaji’s reign, the state fell to the influence of Commandant Meru Khawas.