The Princely State of Kalsia was formerly a native state in east Punjab, India which was under the political control of the Delhi Division Commissioner. It comprised of twenty detached pieces of territory in Ambala and Ferozepure Districts. In 1760 Gurbaksh Singh established this state. The native ruler of the state held the title of ‘Sardar’ until the year 1916, after which the ruler of the Indian princely state was addressed as Raja.
Gurbaksh Singh was a Jat who joined the Kroria misl or confederacy of the Sikhs. His son Jodh Singh was a man of ability and prowess and effected considerable conquests on both sides of the Sutlej. The family eventually lost all the territories of the north of the river with time. When the Cis-Sutlej States came under the British protection, Sardar Jodh Singh after some hesitation followed the general example. The State had an area of 168 square miles and a population of 67,131 in 1901. It was divided into two tehsils Chhachhrauli and Basi with an isolated sun-tehsil of Chirak in Ferozepur District. It contains two towns Chhachhrauli and Basi with 181 villages. The State was regularly settled in 1891. It had suffered considerably from over-assessment and its people had been impoverished.
During the great revolt of 1857, Lahna Singh, the grandson of Jodh Singh and the son and successor of Maharaja Sobha Singh, supported the British Government of India. Later peace was restored around 1858 and eventually Lahna Singh assumed authority under the protection of the British administration, which kept the territory intact. The region was later ruled by Ranjit Singh Kalsia, Ravi Sher Singh and Ravi Karan Singh.