Scimitar-on-Quarter-Anna-of-Sirohi

Scimitar on Quarter Anna of Sirohi

19 May 2022  Thu

The Princely State of Sirohi was a part of the Rajputana Agency situated in India with its capital at Sirohi. It became a part of British India in 1823. Shortly after independence in 1947, Sirohi was submerged with the Rajasthan State on 16th November 1949 and its existence came to an end.

Shortly after Deoraj proclaimed himself as a chief. He later retreated towards Mount Abu, but constant fighting between Deoras and Paramaras continued. To settle the matter, Deoras sent a proposal of marriage. Twelve daughters from Paramaras were to be married into the Chauhan tribe. The girls were accompanied by nearly all Paramaras during their journey toward Abu. When they reached Vareli, the Deoras fell upon them and massacred the majority.

The chiefs of Sirohi are the Deora Rajputs, a branch of the Prithvi Raj Chauhan. They claim descent from Lachhman Raj who is said to have ruled Nadol, Jodhpur towards the end of the 10th century. The Chauhans migrated to the west probably over the next 200 years and established themselves at Bhinmal and Sanchor in Jodhpur. They subsequently took over the fort of Jalor from Paramara Rajputs in the 14th century.

Sheo Singh of Sirohi had issued quarter Anna in 1910 Vikram Samvat. It weighs between 9.75-10.9 grams. The obverse of the coin depicted Persian legends and the reverse shows the scimitar, VS date, Mint name, and Julus formula.

Image Courtesy: Mintage World

Knowledge Base
Online: 9.30 am to 6.30 pm