Narwar town of Gwalior state was called by the name Nalapura until the 12th century. It was ruled by Kachwaha Rajput until the 10th century. Thereafter Kachwaha, Parihara, and Tomara Rajputs ruled this territory until it was captured by Mughalsin the 16th century. From 19th century onwards, it came under Maratha’s influence.
The name of the region is also mentioned in Mahabharata. This place was the hometown of Raja Nala of Naishabad whose love story with Damayanti is one of the most popular episodes in Mahabharata epic.
Coins bearing the name of Ganpati which was mentioned as a Naga King and was inscribed on Samudra Gupta’s edict at Allahabad have been also discovered here.
The history of Narwar had close nexus with Gwalior. During the 10th century, this region was under the control of Kachwaha Rajputs, followed by Parhihars from 1129 to 1232 which was later expelled by Atalmash. The next successor who ruled in this region was Chahada Deva of Yajvapala dynasty who surrendered the Narwar to Nasir-ud-din. Afterwards, it came under Timur’s control till 1507. After twelve months, it was seized by Sikander Lodhi. During Akbar’s reign, it was the headquarters of Malwa Subha. Abu Fazl mentioned in Akbarnama that Narwar fort comprised of Hindu temples.