Jhalawar Princely state was situated in Kathiawar Agency, Bombay. Its name originated from the Jhala Rajputs. It was covered across an area of around 3,978 square miles and its population in 1901 was 3, 05,138. The average density was 76 persons per square mile. It was bounded by kotah to the north and north-east side, Rampura-Bhanpura of Indore and Agra to the north-west and west side, Sitamau and Jaora to the south-west and Pirawa of Tonk and Rampura-Bhanpura of the east side. The main rivers of the state were Chambal and Kali Sindh.
It was once named as Brijnagar. It was founded by Rajput, Jhala Zalim Singh who was the Diwan of Kotah state. It was entitled to 15 gun salutes by the British authority. Its flag was rectangular in shape and pink in colour.
The Jhalawar family owes its origin to Zalim Singh who was a descendant of the Jhala rulers of Wadhwan, from Gujarat. His ancestor Bhavsinghji left his hometown to seek fame and fortune. His fourth son Madho Singh got enrolled in Kotah service and he gave his sister to the ruler of Kotah for matrimonial alliance and in return he received land grants. He died in 1758 and was succeeded by his grandson, Zalim Singh Jhala. He was appointed as Diwan at Kotah.
In 1764, his patron died and he was forced to flee to Mewar. After the death of his brother-in-law Maharaja Guman Singh of Kotah, he returned and became regent of his minor nephew. He died in 1824 and left behind a strong and prosperous state. He was succeeded by his son, Raj Rana Madho Singh as Diwan or virtual ruler. He served for a decade and then died in 1834. He passed on his land, title and office to his son, Raja Rana Madan Singh.