Banswara was a princely state situated in the southern most Rajputana province which later became a part of British India.t is bound in the north by Partabarh and Mewar, on the west with by Dungapur and Sunth, in the south by Jhalod, Jhabua and in the east by Sailana, Ratlam and Pratabgarh. Banswara is said to take its name from a Bhil chieftain name Wasna whose village was situated there. In 1530 he was defeated and slain by Jagmal, the then first chieftain of this State.
From the beginning of 13th to 16th century, Banswara State was ruled by the chiefs of Dungapur or Bagar. It later became a separate state in 1530. According to one account Udai Singh, the chief of Bagar, who was killed in the battle of Khanua in March 1527, ordered that on his death his territory should be divided between his two sons namely- Prithvi Raj and Jagmal.
The other account states that Jagmal was left dead at Khanua, but he later recovered. On returning back he was labeled as imposter. He therefore conceded to the present town of Banswara and the strife between two brothers rose. Finding the continual border warfare intolerable, the two brothers agreed to divide their lands. The river of Mahi was accepted as a fixed border between the states of Banswara and Dungapur. Accuracy of the latter account is agreed to be more truth worthy since the chief of Banswara are a junior branch of the Dungapur family and consequently Sesodia Rajputs a part of Ahariya clan.